Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Birds of a Feather: The Faith of President Bush and President Obama

George Bush: "No, I'm not a literalist, but I think you can learn a lot from [the Bible], but I do think that the New Testament for example is ... has got ... You know, the important lesson is 'God sent a son'... I do believe there is an almighty that is broad and big enough and loving enough that can encompass a lot of people"

Barack Obama: "I'm rooted in the Christian tradition. I believe that there are many paths to the same place, and that is a belief that there is a higher power, a belief that we are connected as a people... I retain from my childhood and my experiences growing up a suspicion of dogma. And I'm not somebody who is always comfortable with language that implies I've got a monopoly on the truth, or that my faith is automatically transferable to others."

George Bush: "I just, I can't go there... I'm not that confident in knowing, you know, the Almighty, to be able to say, Yeah, God wanted me of all the other people [to be president]... I [made the decision to go into Iraq] based upon the need to protect the American people from harm... You can't look at the decision to go into Iraq apart from, you know, what happened on Sept. 11. It was not a religious decision. George W. Bush has to make these decisions"

Barack Obama: "I think I have an ongoing conversation with God. I think throughout the day, I'm constantly asking myself questions about what I'm doing, why am I doing it... And so, the biggest challenge, I think, is always maintaining your moral compass. Those are the conversations I'm having internally. I'm measuring my actions against that inner voice that for me at least is audible, is active, it tells me where I think I'm on track and where I think I'm off track... Well, I think ["when I feel like my actions are aligned with a certain truth"] it's the power of the recognition of God, or the recognition of a larger truth that is being shared between me and an audience."

(Source: here and here)

Sounds like Barack Obama and George W. Bush went through the same school of religion. Although, if you read the entirety of both interviews it sounds like Obama is more religious than Bush. Admittedly, Obama's interviewer seems much better and more in-depth than Bush's. Perhaps it would be better to see Bush's response to the same exact questions.

Either way, it seems that all those Christians supporting Bush as "one of our own" have just as much reason to support Obama as one of their own too. Of course, it will be argued, Obama's policy is a lot worse. However, many Christians used the "one of us" mantra to over look and tolerate a lot of moronic policy from Bush. I hope those same Christians show Obama as much tolerance. I hope they are able to look at his stupid policies and say "Well, I don't really like it, but at least he is one of us! Heck, maybe God wanted him to do it. I doubt God would let one of our own screw us, so let's give him some support."

Actually, I hope they wake up and realize they had the wool pulled over their eyes by a politician and his party, the GOP.

No comments:

Post a Comment